Services and hours of the Transitional Studies department (formerly known as the Adult Basic Education/High School Equivalency Office, ABE/HSE Office, or the GED Office)
- High School Equivalency (HSE) Preparation – classes to help students (ages 16+) prepare for the GED® or HiSet® exams in reading, writing, math, science, and social studies. Please email AdultEd@abtech.edu or call (828) 398-7433 to schedule an orientation and the CASAS placement test. If you are a minor, please call (828) 398-7891 to pickup a minor permission form.
- Adult High School (AHS) – offered in partnership with Goodwill’s “Access Center” online courses in Apex software allow students to earn high school credits they lack to graduate with a high school diploma issued jointly between A-B Tech and the local educational agency (either Buncombe County Schools or Asheville City Schools).
- JumpStart / Basic Skills Plus Tuition Waiver – students testing at the high school levels on the CASAS test are eligible to co-enroll in certificate courses and occupational training (up to 18 curriculum credits, and 96+ hours for ConEd programs) simultaneously and get tuition waived and may also receive financial support for course fees and materials.
- Adult Basic Education (ABE) Foundations – classes to help students (ages 16+) gain or maintain foundational literacy, numeracy, and workforce skills below the secondary (e.g. high school) level. Students functioning at the lowest levels of literacy due to intellectual and/or developmental disability (ID/D) or traumatic brain injury (TBI) are welcome.
- Project SEARCH – internship program for adults with ID/D (unpaid internships at A-B Tech, employment support from Vocational Rehab and The Arc of NC)
- Career Pipeline (formerly known as Hospitality Pipeline) – internship program for adults with ID/D (paid internships with area businesses, program offered in partnership with Goodwill)
- Bloom Fitness – exercise class for adults with ID/D to work on improving understanding of health, fitness, careers in this field, and applying foundational literacy and numeracy skills in this context. Prizes earned for participation in group fitness classes.
- English Language Acquisition – (formerly ESL) classes to help students (ages 16+) gain communicative competence in English and improve their abilities to function as parents, employees, and citizens in the United States. Emphasis is placed on skill development in speaking, listening, reading, and writing in English, in addition to basic technology and math.
Transitional Studies Office Hours
The regular hours of operation are 8:00 a.m.–5:00 p.m., Monday–Friday (closed on Saturday and Sunday).
GED/HSE Record Requests
To request GED or High School Equivalency records, please see the link below.
To request an Adult High School transcript, please email AdultEd@abtech.edu.
Key Words: DOTS, CCR, WIOA, Basic Skills, GED, HiSet, Comp Ed, Compensatory Education, TBI, ID/D, literacy, numeracy, adult education, ESL, ESOL, workforce preparation, pathway, pipeline, Project SEARCH, Bloom Fitness, JumpStart, Adult High School, AHS, Basic Skills Plus, BSKP, ABE, HSE, High School Equivalency