Consult With an Advisor
Consult With an Advisor
The different types of advisors and how to consult with an advisor
Types of Advisors
There are four main types of advisors:
- College Entry Advisors can assist new students with enrolling at A-B Tech as well as returning students seeking to change majors. They also speak with students seeking prerequisite overrides, general advice about what classes to take, etc.
- Pre-Limited/Pre-Selective Advisors (also referred to as GOT Advisors) provide assistance to students in the GOT Program and students interested in applying to Selective Allied Health Programs or Limited Programs.
- Transfer Advisors are available to assist students who are seeking to transfer from A-B Tech to another school, including students in the Associate in Arts (A.A.), Associate in Science (A.S.), Associate in Fine Arts (A.F.A.), and Associate in Engineering (A.E.).
- Program/Faculty Advisors assist students who are enrolled in specific academic programs, most commonly with setting up Plans. Most students enrolled in a program of study have been assigned a specific program/faculty advisor. You can find your assigned advisor by visiting abtech.edu/myadvisor or you can contact us at (828) 398-7900 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Consulting With an Advisor
College Entry and Transfer Advisors meet with students both by appointment and on a walk-in basis. They are available for walk-ins in the Bailey Building (#5 on our campus map), located at the main Asheville campus on Monday–Thursday from 9:00 a.m.–5:45 p.m. and Friday from 9:00 a.m.–4:45 p.m. Sign in under the "First Stop" sign in the lobby of the Bailey Building.
If you are a new student or a current student wishing to change your academic program, you can schedule an appointment with the College Entry Advisor by emailing email@example.com. You can schedule an appointment with a Pre-Limited/Pre-Selective Advisor by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org. Keep in mind that there are times of the year when Pre-Limited/Pre-Selective Advisors only see students on a walk-in basis.
To consult with your faculty/program advisor, you should contact the advisor directly by phone or email. You can find your advisor's contact information at abtech.edu/myadvisor. You may also call (828) 398-7900 or email email@example.com for help finding your advisor's contact information.
- A-B Tech has a Distance Advisor who is available to assist new students who are not yet in a program, do not live in the Asheville area, and are therefore not able to visit our campus to meet with an advisor. Our Distance Advisor can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Generally speaking, distance students who have been assigned a program/faculty advisor should contact their program advisor by phone or email for advising assistance.
- Pre-Limited/Pre-Selective students should contact a GOT Advisor by email at email@example.com.
- Transfer students should contact a Transfer Advisor.