A-B Tech InfoBase

We're here to help you find quick answers to common questions. Use the search box to look up key words or browse through the categories below.
Can't find what you're looking for? Click here to email us your question or call us at (828) 398-7900.

Add or Change an Academic Program

Add or Change an Academic Program


Overview of how to add or change an academic program

Choosing an Academic Program

You can view the list of academic programs offered at A-B Tech by going to abtech.edu/academicprograms.

An online tool called "Career Coach" is available to help you explore your academic and career goals.

Career Counseling is offered at no charge to current curriculum students and new students who have completed the enrollment process and plan to enroll in the upcoming semester. For more information, see abtech.edu/careers

How to Add/Change a Program

Before selecting a major/program of study, students must first apply to A-B Tech and complete any necessary placement requirements for the program. You can add or change most academic programs (declare or change your major) in WebAdvisor. Step-by-step instructions for selecting a program online in WebAdvisor are available on our website.

If you're unable to select a program online in WebAdvisor, you may also select your program by meeting with a College Entry Advisor in the Bailey Student Services Building. Advisors meet with students on a walk-in basis, or appointments can be scheduled by emailing generaladvising@abtech.edu.

If you wish to enter a Transfer Program (A.A., A.S., A.E., or A.F.A.), you'll need to meet with a College Entry Advisor first to be placed in the program.

When You May Add/Change a Program

"Unclassified" students (students not in a program of study) may be placed in a program at any time, either before or after a term has begun, as long as the necessary enrollment/placement requirements have been met. When adding a program for a current term after the term has already begun, Unclassified students must meet with a College Entry Advisor in the Bailey Student Services Building.

"Classified" students (students currently enrolled in a program of study) can only be placed into a new program for the next term; Classified students cannot change or add a program for a current term that has already begun.

Financial Aid

If you're selecting a program for financial aid purposes, you should also email the Financial Aid Office at financialaidoffice@abtech.edu to let them know you have selected a program.


Key Words: change major, declare a major, switch academic program, academic program, add program, end program, add major
Attached Files
There are no attachments for this article.
Related Articles RSS Feed
Automotive/Diesel Programs
Added on Thu, Oct 17, 2013
Surgical Technology Bridge Program
Added on Thu, Jun 6, 2013
Basic Firefighter Indoctrination Training (BFIT)
Added on Tue, Oct 1, 2013
North Carolina Early Childhood Credential (NCECC)
Added on Mon, Jun 24, 2013
Cosmetology Programs
Added on Tue, Oct 8, 2013
Real Estate Classes
Added on Fri, Jan 18, 2013
Help with Deciding on a Program of Study
Added on Fri, Feb 7, 2014
Meet With an Advisor
Added on Tue, Feb 4, 2014
ServSafe Certification and Test
Added on Thu, Feb 28, 2013
Early Childhood Education Programs
Added on Mon, Oct 14, 2013