Meet With an Advisor
Meet With an Advisor
The different types of advisors and how to meet with an advisor
Types of Advisors
There are four main types of advisors:
- College Entry Advisors can assist new students with enrolling at A-B Tech as well as returning students seeking to change majors. They also speak with students seeking prerequisite overrides, general advice about what classes to take, etc.
- Pre-Limited/Pre-Selective Advisors (also referred to GOT Advisors) provide assistance to students in the GOT Program and students interested in applying to Selective Allied Health Programs or Limited Programs.
- Transfer Advisors are available to assist students who are seeking to transfer from A-B Tech to another school, including students in the Associate in Arts (A.A.), Associate in Science (A.S.), Associate in Fine Arts (A.F.A.), and Associate in Engineering (A.E.) in either the Mechanical Engineering or Electrical Engineering Pathway programs. Students who wish to begin a Transfer Program should meet with a College Entry Advisor in the Bailey Building to be placed in the program and learn their next steps.
- Program/Faculty Advisors assist students who are enrolled in specific academic programs, most commonly with setting up educational plans. Most students enrolled in a program of study have been assigned a specific program/faculty advisor. You can find your assigned advisor in WebAdvisor or you can contact us at (828) 398-7900 or email@example.com to find out who your program/faculty advisor is.
Meeting with an Advisor
College Entry and Transfer Advisors meet with students both by appointment and on a walk-in basis. They are available for walk-ins in the Bailey Building located at the main Asheville campus from 9:00 a.m.–7:00 p.m Monday–Thursday and 9:00 a.m.–5:00 p.m. on Friday. Sign in under the "First Stop" sign in the lobby of the Bailey Building.
If you are a new student or a current student wishing to change your academic program, you can schedule an appointment with the College Entry Advisor by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org. You can schedule an appointment with a Pre-Limited/Pre-Selective Advisor by emailing email@example.com. Keep in mind that there are times of the year when Pre-Limited/Pre-Selective Advisors only see students on a walk-in basis.
To meet with your faculty/program advisor, you should contact the advisor directly by phone or email. You can find your advisor's contact information in our online Employee Directory at abtech.edu/employee-directory. You may also call (828) 398-7900 or email firstname.lastname@example.org for help finding your advisor's contact information.
- A-B Tech has a Distance Advisor who is available to assist new students who are not yet in a program, do not live in the Asheville area, and are therefore not able to visit our campus to meet with an advisor. Our Distance Advisor can be reached at email@example.com.
- Generally speaking, distance students who have been assigned a program/faculty advisor should contact their program advisor by phone or email for advising assistance.
- Pre-Limited/Pre-Selective students should contact a GOT Advisor by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Transfer students should contact a Transfer Advisor.
A-B Tech also offers personal counseling. If you would like to schedule an appointment, stop by the Information Desk in the Bailey Building or call (828) 398-7900.