A-B Tech InfoBase

We're here to help you find quick answers to common questions. Use the search box to look up key words or browse through the categories below.
Can't find what you're looking for? Click here to email us your question or call us at (828) 398-7900.

Withdrawing From Courses and Financial Aid

Withdrawing From Courses and Financial Aid


How withdrawing from a class will affect financial aid


If you're receiving financial aid, you may want to contact the Financial Aid Office before you withdraw from a course to determine what effect withdrawing from the course will have on your financial aid eligibility in the future. A withdrawal will affect your overall completion rate, which is a factor in determining your Satisfactory Academic Progress for financial aid. If you have completed 1–29 credits, your cumulative completion rate must be at least 50%. If you have completed 30 or more credits, your cumulative completion rate must be at least 67%.

In some cases, you may have to repay financial aid if you withdraw from your classes. For more information about repaying financial aid funds, please contact our Financial Aid Office directly. Keep in mind the Financial Aid Office will not be able to determine how much financial aid money you'll need to repay, or if you'll need to repay financial aid funds, until after the semester has finished and federal calculations are performed.  

How to Withdraw

Instructions for how to withdraw from classes are available in a separate article.


Key Words: withdraw, withdrawals, withdrawal form, drop, financial aid, repay, completion rate, SAP, Satisfactory Academic Progress 
Attached Files
There are no attachments for this article.
Related Articles RSS Feed
Pell Lifetime Eligibility Usage (PLEU)
Added on Tue, Oct 1, 2013
Reason for Financial Aid Disbursement Dates
Added on Fri, Jan 25, 2013
Forgivable Education Loans for Service (FELS)
Added on Thu, Oct 3, 2013
Emergency Funds
Added on Wed, Sep 11, 2013
Loan Servicer
Added on Wed, Jan 16, 2013
FSA ID Number
Added on Fri, Oct 26, 2012
Buy Books With Financial Aid
Added on Mon, Oct 29, 2012
Tax Return: Do You Need to File One?
Added on Tue, Nov 19, 2013
Minimesters and Financial Aid
Added on Fri, Oct 26, 2012
Estimated Family Contribution (EFC) for Financial Aid
Added on Tue, Oct 1, 2013